Super healthy baked Cod, full of flavor and perfect for those of us that are watching our waistlines, if you are on a low carb or even on a gluten free diet. This mediterranean dish is low in calories yet it has a full punch of flavor. Maybe this recipe is considered Spanish but it is very close to the greek “cod plaki” due to the way of cooking and the flavors involved that it definitely qualifies . Fresh ripened tomatoes, capers, olives, garlic, chilies and parsley are just some of the ingredients. It is like summer on a plate. A much needed healthy dinner for this cold January evening!
I came up with this recipe one day , and while on a diet trying to loose some weight. The family wasn’t fond of the original recipe so I figured a Spanish twist would not hurt, and everyone loved it! It is has a lot of protein, good fats and it is also full of flavor.
I have to say that this is John’s ( my better half) new healthy favorite. Of course he gets to have a new favorite every week.This one though was requested twice this last week, so it must be at the very top of his list.
This makes a good portion for 4 people. It goes great with rice, my kids love it with French fries. or even cauliflower rice
- 1 kilo or (2.2lbs) Cod fish fresh or frozen
- 250 grams ( 8 oz) canned whole peeled tomatoes roughly chopped
- 150 grams (5 oz ) cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 whole fresh onions chopped
- 1 whole fresno chilli pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 whole jalapeño or any other spicy pepper seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp capers drained
- 150 grams (5 oz) green olives (Spanish or not) pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil (or more if you wish) extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper (you may add more if you wish)
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or 175 Celsius).
Cover the fish with a little olive oil and add some salt, half of the paprika and the pepper. In a separate bowl, add all the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil and mix well. use the left over salt, pepper and paprika . Drizzle the olive oil on top and bake for 20 minutes.
You may put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes if you wish at the end.
Baked Cod notes
- That is one of the easier fish recipes you can come across. Feel free to adjust the olive oil, salt and pepper to your liking but don't forget that the olives and the capers are salty so plan accordingly.
- You may opt in to marinate the fish for 3-4 hours with all the ingredients but the fresh tomatoes and bake when you are ready. The fish will have a slightly spicier flavor that way.
- I used Spanish olives but any type of green olive should be great.
- For the spicy pepper, I use jalapeno pepper but you may use any type of spicy pepper you like and adjust the heat to your liking. If you have little kids that will be eating this, you may want to omit this.
- Furthermore,you may also grill the fish, cook the sauce in a pan separately and put together just before dinner.
- Finally,this recipe will work for any type of white fish including swai fish or even snapper
In conclusion, don’t forget to send me your comments and tell me what you think regarding this delicious cod recipe.